Key Terms to Be Aware of in a Workers’ Compensation Case

Posted on : August 30, 2017
terms you should know in a workers compensation claim

There are several different terms that are often turned around after you need to file a claim for workers’ compensation regardless of your state. These are outlined below in order to help you with your workers’ compensation claim. Filing a claim in a timely fashion is very important if you’ll be reliant on the benefits provided by workers’ comp to pay your bills and obtain medical treatment.

Bear in mind that consulting with an experienced attorney is strongly recommended if you find yourself in need of assistance with your workers’ compensation claim.

  • Suitable employment. After an employee reaches maximum medical improvement or the point at which he or she is no longer likely to improve any further, the law requires that the injured employee go back into suitable employment. This is permanent employment that is available in the marketplace that is within the employee’s educational, physical and vocational capabilities.
  • Permanent partial disability rating. This is the percentage amount that is assigned to a body part that has been affected by a work injury. This is necessary to determine the number of weeks that an injured employee should be entitled to compensation for their injury and the treating doctor is responsible for assigning the permanent partial disability rating.
  • Late duty or modified work. Temporary employment that is offered by an employer to an injured worker while that person is on restricted duty as assigned by the duty doctor is called modified or late duty work. This means that the doctor has requested work restrictions and that the employee is unable to perform the job that he or she had before the injury as a result of these restrictions.
  • Vocational rehabilitation. If your employer cannot offer you suitable employment and you are unable to do your regular job, you are eligible to receive vocational rehabilitation such as retraining, placement counseling or a vocational rehabilitation maintenance allowance. In many cases, the insurance company for your employer will cover this. This is typically only offered to an employee that is getting temporary total disability benefits after they have been considered to have reached maximum medical improvement.

Your workers’ compensation case should only be handled by a dedicated attorney.