Workers Comp Claim Medical Payments Decreased in One State

Posted on : December 27, 2017
if you need workers' compensation insurance, you need a lawyer

Worrying about how much you’ll be paid for a workers’ comp claim is a common concern for anyone who suffered in a workplace accident. Whether you got hurt on the job or developed an occupational illness, you’ll need to file a workers’ comp claim. The benefits are determined by the severity of your injury and how that affects your chances of going back to work. Since you’ll need those benefits, you should also hire a lawyer.

A new study has shown that in North Carolina, workers’ compensation payments for medical purposes decreased by up to 6% per year between 2013 and 2015. Very few changes were noted in the medical payments for workers’ compensation claims from 2010 to 2013. According to industry advocates, policy changes in recent years have targeted hospital costs which were previously a critical cost driver of workers’ compensation claims.

Allegedly, the business community and hospitals worked together to negotiate new fee schedules for workers’ comp claims. The purpose was to bring North Carolina in line with other similar states, many of which have moved to fee schedules that hospitals payments based on a portion of Medicare.

The North Carolina Industrial Commission recommended and approved fee schedule that first went into effect in 2015. The early observations show a decrease in outpatient payments for hospitals overall but experts say that this was in line with the Medicare reimbursement approach. It is expected that research in this field will continue over the next several years to view the long-term impacts of these changes directly in North Carolina.

If your workers’ comp claim is denied or unfairly delayed, you need to take the situation seriously and hire an injury lawyer who has years of experience working with workers’ compensation insurance claims to fight back and get you the benefits you need.

If you have questions about a workers’ compensation claim, you need to hire an experienced attorney to represent you and help you file a full and fair claim for compensation to fight back. You have limited time to do this.